The following information has been taken from CLAIR’s 2014 After Jet Guide. CLAIR is not responsible for Visa issues and the following information should be useful only as a guide. To ensure that the following information is correct for your own situation, we suggest that you contact the Kobe District Immigration Office at 078-391-6377.
If you try to leave the country after your Status of Residence has expired—even if it’s over by only a day—you will be classified as an illegal alien and interrogated at your port of departure. At this point, neither CLAIR nor your contracting organization will be able to provide you with assistance, so please ensure that your Status of Residence is up to date!
Which situation applies to you?
Status of Residence expires on the same day that your term of appointment ends
Up to 2 weeks before the expiry date, you must apply for a Temporary Visitor Status of Residence to begin from the day after your current Status of Residence expires.
Status of Residence remains valid after your term of appointment ends but before you leave Japan
Up to 2 weeks before the expiry date, you must apply for a Temporary Visitor Status of Residence to begin from the day after your current visa expires.
For applications, you need:
- Application form for Change of Status Residence to Temporary Visitor
- Resons for Requesting a Change of Status (explanation of reasons for staying in Japan, including an itinerary, prepared by you)
- Letter supporting your travel itinerary and the starting and ending date of your contract and your intended date of departure (Ask your contracting organization to issue the letter)
- A copy of the airline ticket for passage out of Japan
- Proof of sufficient funds for travel and living in Japan until your date of departure
- Valid passport and Alien Registration Card
- 4000 yen Revenue Stamp
For more information, please visit the Immigration Bureau of Japan’s website.