This page answers common questions about Hyogo AJET and the use of this site.
What is Hyogo AJET (HAJET)?
Hyogo AJET is a chapter of National AJET, which works at a more local level to provide a support network for Jets new and old, in both their professional and recreational life. With regard to the former, the Hyogo AJET Prefectural Guidelines state that the role of Hyogo AJET is to:
develop and promote open lines of communication with Japanese ministries (such as CLAIR), the Hyogo Prefectural Board of Education, the Hyogo International Relations Division and the National AJET Council further the education and professional development of JET Programme participants, Japanese teachers, and all AJET members.
In coordination and cooperation with the Hyogo PAs, HAJET hosts the "Hyogo Living Guide", an extremely useful resource for your everyday life in Japan. Whether it is a question about finding English-speaking doctors, restaurant recommendations, cleaning your tatami mats, or studying Japanese, chances are any question you have about daily life in Japan is answered in this very thorough and continually evolving guide book. Please refer to it frequently!
In addition to all the help you may or may not need whilst living in Japan, Hyogo AJET is a major source of entertainment. Let us organize charity and non-charity events and excursions for you. In spring, join us in the much-loved act of hanami at one of the best locations, Himeji castle. In summer, why not come and eat and drink as much as you can at one of our beer gardens in Himeji or Kobe? It`s not all drunken debauchery though. You can also take in the fresh air and beautiful scenery of Hyogo by either joining one of our organized hikes in summer or autumn, or by cruising down the slopes of Northern Hyogo. This is, however, only a taste of what Hyogo AJET can do for you. We will add further events to our calendar as we think of, or you request, them. We can also help you with any events you would like to organize yourself. You can view our, or advertise any of your own, events on our Hyogo AJET calendar. Furthermore, as a member of Hyogo AJET you can receive discounts and prizes at many of these events, as well as a year-long subscription to our monthly Hyogo AJET publication, "Hyogo Times," and an efficient postage paid library service.
I am a new JET who is placed in Hyogo, what should I do?
Start by reading the living guide (even if you haven't arrived yet). It contains valuable information regarding all facets of your life on JET and it is Hyogo-oriented. Be sure to also sign up for the mailing list and check the forums for new communications. Finally, enjoy living and working in one of the best prefectures in all of Japan!
There is a forum, a mailing list, and this site... why so much?
Basically, to faciliate the different kinds of information sharing and collaboration that take place amongst JETs.
- This site is intended to display static, encyclopedia-type articles. It uses the exact same software that runs the famous Wikipedia site, so that means anyone can edit (within certain limits) the contents of this site. If you think you have content worthy of use by your fellow JETs or users of this site then do not hesitate to share!
- The mailing list is a convenient way for all the JETs in Hyogo to quickly and easily communicate with each other. When a message is sent to the list, everyone on the list receives an email with the message in it. Use this to quickly and conveniently communicate with all the Hyogo JETs. The mailing list is a good place to ask questions that need a lot of feedback or when you need an answer quiclkly. The Hyogo PAs often make important announcements via the list as well, so be sure to sign up.
- The forum is a good place for everyday conversation regarding a wide array of topics releveant to JETs (teaching, traveling, cooking, Japanese, general chatting, etc.). All discussions are logged in the forum as well, so you can go back and study old discussions
What is the difference between HAJET and the Hyogo PAs?
According the JET Programme website:
"Prefectural Advisors are placed in each Host Prefecture/Designated City and often work in the Prefecture or Designated City's International Affairs Division or Board of Education. They provide support and counselling to JET participants and Contracting Organizations, as well as giving useful information to JETs about everyday life in Japan. PAs are not professional counsellors, but they do receive training from professionals. If the need arises, they are available to provide support. JET participants can consult Prefectural Advisors about any issue (with the exception of illegal activities), secure in the knowledge that their confidentiality will be strictly maintained."
Basically, the PAs are there to advise and assist you with everyday life and work matters. They are part of the chain that includes your contracting organization, CLAIR, etc. AJET is an organization run by JETs for JETs. AJET does things like organize social events, provide means for JETs to communicate with one another (like this site), as well as providing support for everday life and work all at the local level.
How do I edit pages on this site?
On the top of every page there is an edit tab. Click that and you will be taken to a page that allows you to edit the contents of the page directly. Type your changes and then click "Preview" to see what the new changes look like. Once the results are satisfactory click the "Save" button to commit the changes. The site maintains a record of every edit on the site. This means changes can be rolled back (i.e., erased) if neccessary. Keep in mind:
- You will need to create a user account in order to edit pages.
- Some pages are locked from editing by everyone.
- The format used to write pages is WikiText, the same format used on the famous Wikipedia site. It is somewhat similar to HTML (if you have experience with that)You can get help for editing here.
How do I create new pages?
Type the name of the page you want to create into the Search box and click "Go". You will be shown a page that says the page does not exist and asks if you wish to create a new one. Click the "Yes" link and you will be allowed to begin editing the new page. Don't forget to click save when you are done typing!
Where do I ask questions?
Depends on the question and how urgently you need a reply. But, in general:
- For serious/sensitive work or life related matters start with the Hyogo PAs. They can assist with many different issues. The JET Diary (in the first few pages) also lists several different JET-related support lines you can contact.
- For more general/non-sensitive questions you can post messages to the mailing list and/or forum. Your fellow JETs are an excellent source of advice and consultation!
- If you have a specific question about this site then please contact the webmaster: email@example.com