Hyogo AJET Library
The AJET Library is a fast and convenient service that gives all Hyogo AJET members, even those living in the most mountainous areas, access to English books. It's much easier and of course cheaper than traveling to the nearest English bookstore and buying them. As of 2009-2010, since AJET membership is free, postage (about ¥600/book both ways) will not be covered.
- Books are posted to you paid on delivery, along with a pre-addressed return envelope. A reduced rate for printed materials (yuu meru, ゆうメール) is available. For rates (in Japanese), see [.
- Here is a list of the books in the Hyogo AJET Library: HAJET Library Books
- The Library e-mail address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There are over 1000 books to choose from, and you can check out up to 3 books at a time.
- If you would like to donate your books, please contact the librarian or your local AJET representative.
Using the library
- Look through the online book list for a book (s) you want to check out.
- Contact the librarian via e-mail and tell them your mailing address and the names of the books and authors.
- The Hyogo AJET Librarian will then mail the books to you, along with an addressed, postage-paid envelope. When you are done with the books, send them back in this envelope.
When you leave Japan to return home, we welcome your book donations. It is these individual donations that have made the library possible.
Hyogo Prefectural Library, Akashi
They let you order books through your local library and then send them the books for you to collect. Phone: 078-918-3366
800 meters north of JR Akashi Station. 1-27 Akashi Koen
The YMCA has a small but free library service.
Himeji YMCA Wellness Center
9-15 Higashi-no-cho, Tsuchiyama,
Himeji-shi, Hyogo-ken, 〒670-0995
Hyogo International Plaza
Good library with lots of Japanese textbooks, English fiction and non-fiction books, magazines and every Lonely Planet guidebook every made. Located in the Hyogo International Association. See Information Services for more information.
Osaka Municipal Central Library
Library cards and checking out books is free. All you need to do is bring your Alien Registration Card. You can find foreign books on the first floor. You can borrow up to 8 books (including up to 2 videos or 4 CDs) for as long as 15 days, though you can get extensions for books. The library sometimes closes on random days, so you should call them first.
9:15 am - 8:30 pm, Tuesday - Friday
9:15 am - 5:00, Weekends
4-3-2, Kitahorie, Nishi-ku
Osaka-shi, Osaka-fu, 〒550-0014
Take the Sennichimae Subway Line to Nishi Nagahori and use the No 7 exit.
Kobe International Community Centre (KICC)
Wee library with some interesting titles, and lots of papers and magazines. See here for more information.
Himeji International Center
Good selection of Lonely Planet guidebooks, but not a pretty shabby collection otherwise. They also have free internet access, but you can only use it in one hour blocks. See Information Services for more information.
Kobe Municipal Central Library
Website - Very small collection of English books, but does have some popular recent titles. Must live or work in Kobe to get a card. Library is five minutes on foot from subway Okurayama station.
|For New Jets||
The Hiring Process ・ Buying From Your Predecessor ・ Japanese Customs ・ Bringing Medicine To Japan ・ Presents For Coworkers ・ Tokyo to Hyogo ・ Residence Card ・ Changes to the Alien Registration System, July 2012 ・ First Few Days ・ Pension Book ・ Settling In At Home ・ Letter of Appointment ・ Personal Seal
|Life In Hyogo|
|Language and Culture|
|Computers and Phones|