Police Clearance Certificate

After you go back home, some programs in some countries will require that you get a police clearance certificate (犯罪経歴証明書). For example, if you want to become a teacher in New Zealand, you will probably need a police clearance certificate to become registered. If this is the case, make sure you get one before you leave Japan. The following information was taken from the Hyogo Prefectural Police Department website about how to get one:

Where To Go:

Kobe-shi, Chuo-ku, Shimoyamate-dori 5-4-1
Hyogo Prefectural Police Department
Identification Unit (8th Floor)
Phone: (078)-341-7441

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00-11:30 and 1:00-5:00
Closed Weekends and Holidays

What To Bring

  • Valid Passport
  • One of the following: Alien Registration Card, Certificate of Registered Matters, or Japanese driver’s license.
  • Original Documents (printed by your Embassy or other official body) that require you to get a copy of your Police Clearance Certificate, or an application form that includes such a request (Visa Application Form, Work Permit Application, etc. that have already been filled out).

Caution Depending on the country, some forms cannot be accepted if they were printed off from the internet. Please contact the Travel Certificate Supervisor (tokou-shoumei-tantou) in the Identification Unit (Kanshikika) at 078-341-7441 ext. 4654.


  • Allow two weeks for processing
  • Pick up the application at the same place where you dropped it off
  • You must apply in person as they will need to take your fingerprints
  • As a rule, you must also come in to pick up the certificate (bring ID). However, if there are compelling reasons why you cannot come in person, it is possible to grant power of attorney to somebody else and have them pick it up for you.
  • Depending on the requesting country and reason for the request, there are occasionally cases where the application might take longer than normal. If you have any questions, please call the above phone number.
  • Forms vary from country to country, so if you have any questions, please contact the number above with any questions.

Post Author: webmaster