one pack of kamaboko (steamed fish paste)
Â¼ bunch of mizuna (green leafy vegetable)
a little daikon (Japanese radish)
a little spring onion
4 mochi (rice cakes)
zest from one yuzu (Japanese lemon/lime)
3 Â½ cups of dashi (fish stock)
Â½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon thin soy sauce
1 tablespoon sake
Â½ tablespoon mirin
- Cut the steamed fish paste into 1cm thick slices.
- Thinly cut the carrot and daikon into short slices.
- Cut the mizuna into lengths of about 4 cm.
- Boil dashi, add salt, soy sauce, sake and mirin.
- Microwave the rice cakes for about 1 minute or until they are soft and have increased in size a little.
- Add the rice cakes to the soup and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the kamaboko and mizuna and boil for about a minute.
- When serving sprinkle a little of the spring onion and yuzu zest on top.
How to make dashi (fish stock)
17g kelp ( 2 pieces 15x10cm)
27g dried bonito
1.2 litres water
1. Wipe the kelp with a damp cloth
2. Simmer the water and kelp for 20 minutes but don’t let it boil.
3. Remove the kelp from the pot and add the dried bonito.
4. Line a colander with kitchen paper and strain the finished dashi.