Do greet and be greeted by every single hiker you pass.
Don’t wear regular sneakers to climb the highest mountain in March (you will have sad wet and cold feet).
Do use the free huts to sleep in.
Don’t expect running water or electricity at the huts.
Do take the ferry to Yakushima if you have time (equipped with manga library, sauna, restaurants, and sleeping area).
Don’t forget to close the curtains when using the ferry’s sauna.
Do buy the ferry tickets’ from Lawson for a discount.
Don’t forget to pack enough food to sustain your exhausted hiking body for all hiking days.
Do avoid peak season if possible (namely Golden Week, August and September).
Don’t be deterred by the promise of rain (as legend has it, it rains 35 days a month)
Do be prepared to be awestruck by the sheer beauty of your surroundings.
Don’t forget your camera.
Do act out scenes from Princess Mononoke.
Essential knowledge for your hike
– Everything can be hired at the shops at Miyanoura port on Yakushima, and the supermarket close by also has gear for sale (Suggested packing list: warm sleeping bag, first aid kit, portable stove if you want hot meals, emergency blankets, flashlights, hiking gear, many pairs of socks, and a sense of adventure).
– Paid accommodation is available on the island, in addition to the free huts. Free booking available here (mountain huts are first come first serve).
– There are two seaside, essentially free, outdoor onsen, but both are on the south side of the island. You should allot three days of hiking if you would like to hike to them. There are other indoor onsen facilities littered around the island.
– In August, you could be lucky and see sea turtles laying their eggs on the north-west beaches.
– There are virtually no garbage bins on your hiking trail, so be prepared to lug your rubbish around (add garbage bags to your shopping list).
– Terrific maps are provided by the Kagoshima tourism website (hard copies can be picked-up at the tourist info desk)
– English bus time table and fares (not available at the tourist info desk)