If you grew up in the States and are of my generation, you may remember that KFC once sold the most delicious corn bread ever! So in honor of the なつかしい (nostalgic) food memories of times passed, and the beautiful pink sakura of spring, I present a new creation! Tada! Strawberry Corn Muffins!
Servings: 13~18 standard sized muffins
1 cup Flour
1 cup Cornmeal*
1/2 cup Sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Butter, softened
1 cup Whole Milk (or Half-and-Half or Cream if you’re feeling fancy)
7 Strawberries, diced or sliced
*you may have to buy this off of iherb or search very hard at an international store. Sorry!
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners or set-up the nifty ￥100 store muffin cups on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add butter and mix til crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the milk/half-and-half/cream with the egg.
- Fold in the liquid mixture into the flour mixture a little at a time.
- Spoon into liners filling ¾ to ⅚ of the way to the top. Using a cookie/ice cream scoop makes this part a little less messy.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Top with honey, butter, or both! (If you are so inclined.)
Happy Hanami-ing ^-^