I’m a big fan of meals that are simple, delish, and can be thrown together quickly, so when my friend showed me a video for this simple dish, I thought: why not, let’s give it a crack. This recipe uses ingredients that you probably already have on your cooking counter and will add some flavor to your bowl of rice accompanying your usual choice of protein.
1 1/2 Cups White Rice
(you can try brown or mixed rice for a variation)
2 tsp Olive Oil
(you can use fancy flavored ones as well ;>)
¾ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Pepper
1 Large Tomato
Your choice of protein or topping cooked as desired. I like avocado!
- Add rice to your rice cooker pot and wash as usual.
- Fill water to the proper line as indicated on the pot. For drier rice, subtract 6 Tbsp of water from the pot (to account for the liquid in the tomato).
- Mix in the salt, pepper, and olive oil. Swish to combine.
- Wash the tomato and cut off the stem and butt part.
Place in the middle of the rice, butt side up.
- Put the pot in the rice cooker. Close the rice cooker lid and set to cook normally.
- When the rice cooker has indicated that it is finished cooking, use the rice cooker paddle to mix the rice
- Serve with desired topping/protein.
Stay cool as summer rolls in!