This is a delicious side dish that you can find at an izakaya but it is very simple to make at home too.
serves 4 as a side dish
1 pack of shrimp paste (ebi no nerimono)
3-4 tablespoons corn starch (katakuriko)
about 1 cup of cooking oil
2-3 tablespoons grated daikon
3-4 tablespoons ponzu sauce
- Peel the lotus roots and cut into slices just under 1 centimetre thick.
- Dust the lotus root slices with the corn starch.
- Put the shrimp paste on one slice of lotus root and put another slice on top, like a sandwich.
- Deep fry them until they become golden brown.
- Serve with grated daikon and ponzu sauce.