It’s February!!! And that means Hokkaido Snow Festival, Nagasaki Lantern Festival (for Chinese New Year! Happy Lunar New Year!), and of course Valentine’s Day. So for those looking to confess to their crushes or impress their special someone, or let’s face it, to just stuff some chocolate in our faces (thanks Anna), it’s brownie time!
200g Sugar (add up to 50g more for sweeter brownies)
50g Cocoa Powder (about 10 Tbsp)
2 Eggs, beaten
½ tsp Baking Powder
A pinch of Salt
- Melt the butter in a small pot on low heat.
(You can also melt it in the microwave)
- Remove from the stove and stir in the sugar and cocoa powder til well mixed.
- Beat the eggs into the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the flour mixture till just combined.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared (butter coated, flour dusted) pan and bake at 180°C/350°F for about 25 minutes. Aim for a fudgey rather than cake-like texture.
Variations: Add ½ cup of your favorite nut to the mixture at the end, like almonds or pistachios.
Base recipe courtesy of Sarah McGowan.
Happy February & Valentine’s Day!