Delicious pork and vegetable dumplings which go well with the fried rice from last month’s issue!
200g minced pork (豚ひき肉；butahikiniku)
1 bunch Chinese chives (にら；nira)
2 packets of dumpling wrappers (餃子の皮；gyoza no kawa)
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp salad oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
salt and pepper
extra salad oil
ponzu sauce (soy sauce with citrus)
chili oil (ラー油；ra-yu)
- Finely dice the cabbage, leek and Chinese chives.
- Add a little salt, pepper, sesame oil and salad oil to the meat and mix with your hands until it becomes a little sticky.
- Add the garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, salt, pepper and a little salad oil to the mince meat and then add the vegetables. Mix well.
- Take a gyoza wrapper and place a small spoonful of the meat/vegetable mixture in the centre, fold in half and pinch the edges together, making pleat like folds.
- Put about 1 tablespoon of salad oil in a heated frying pan. Place the gyoza in the pan and cook one side until brown. Turn over and brown the other side.
- To make the dipping sauce, put ponzu in a small dish and add chili oil to taste.
- Serve with fried rice and the dipping sauce.